[jboss-user] [JNDI and Naming] - Which HA-JMS ConnectionFactory?

Gerald Turner do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Nov 23 14:03:05 EST 2010

Gerald Turner [http://community.jboss.org/people/gturner] created the discussion

"Which HA-JMS ConnectionFactory?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/572560#572560

How should I code transacted HA-JMS sender and receiver non-EJB clients deployed within a cluster of JBoss containers?

The question is tricky because: we're using JBoss 4.2.3 in "all" configuration, but would like to upgrade to 5.1 without code changes; the clients are SAR deployments of custom MBeans; no EJB/MDB whatsoever.

Various informal documentation I've been able to scrape from the web suggests looking up the ConnectionFactory from local (non-HA) JNDI with name "java:/JmsXA" and looking up the Queue from HA-JNDI.

JmsXA is not working because evidently (and as it's name suggests) it is an XAConnectionFactory, and the code:

QueueSession session =
    connection.createQueueSession(true, Session.SESSION_TRANSACTED);

…is not actually honoring the transcted/mode arguments (javadoc: "usage undefined"¹).  This becomes a problem when the receiver code issues session.commit() or session.rollback() which raise the exception "TransactionInProgressException: Should not be call from a XASession".

I've searched for examples of using XASession from a non-EJB client and haven't come up with anything.  I suppose I could try experimenting with session.getXAResource², but first problem faced would be how to allocate Xid objects, and then I imagine there will be failures because the underlying DataSource isn't XA (MySQL Cluster/NDB storage engine doesn't support XA).

Avoiding the XA mess and trying ConnectionFactory lookup with JNDI name "java:/ConnectionFactory" isn't working either: this object only exists on the master nodes local JNDI, it's not exported to HA-JNDI.  I suppose I'll have to do remote JNDI connection to the master node?  That sounds awful since I'll also need to detect and reconnect on master node failover.

Does JBoss 5.1 / JBoss Messaging "fix" any of this?  I could change targets but I'm having massive interoperability problems between 4.2 and 5.1 in other applications (several clusters with total of 300+ JBoss application servers, "fork-lift" upgrade of our applications isn't
pretty).

Any advice would be much appreciated!

¹  http://download.oracle.com/javaee/5/api/javax/jms/XAConnection.html#createSession(boolean,%20int http://download.oracle.com/javaee/5/api/javax/jms/XAConnection.html#createSession(boolean,%20int)

²  http://download.oracle.com/javaee/5/api/javax/jms/XASession.html#getXAResource http://download.oracle.com/javaee/5/api/javax/jms/XASession.html#getXAResource()

Start a new discussion in JNDI and Naming at Community
[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2083]