[jboss-user] [Beginner's Corner] - Working around transaction timeouts

dfisher do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Sep 9 07:28:22 EDT 2010

dfisher [http://community.jboss.org/people/dfisher] created the discussion

"Working around transaction timeouts"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/560919#560919

+Using JBoss 5.1.0+

I've got a long running clean up task that repeatedly invokes a stateless session bean.
The problem I'm having is that the task takes longer than 5 minutes to run, which is the default transaction timeout.
Rather than change the default value or define a custom value on the SSB, I'm trying to wire things up so each SSB call uses it's own transaction.
My current design looks like:

MBean
  invoke Task [SSB with @TransactionAttribute(NEVER)]
          invoke Search [SSB with @TransactionAttribute(REQUIRED)], look up entities to operate on
          for each entity
            invoke Operation [SSB with @TransactionAttribute(REQUIRED)], perform operation

My expectation is that Task does not have a transaction.
The Search transaction will commit when all entities are found.
A new transaction will run and commit for each invocation on Operation.
However, what occurs is that all operations rollback after 5 minutes.

Can anyone explain the correct way to do this?
Thanks.