[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Re: Advice on how to approach CRON based BPMN2 processes

olddave do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Aug 4 05:13:13 EDT 2011

olddave [http://community.jboss.org/people/olddave] created the discussion

"Re: Advice on how to approach CRON based BPMN2 processes"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/619347#619347

Hi,

So basically you are saying that to start actual work you have 2 stimuli, the Start node directly through the XOR converging gateway and a new work item that is a CRON Timer that produces an internal event that kicks off the process through the XOR converging gateway. So the Start item could have a boolean variable that causes the XOR converging gateway to pass through, otherwise is waits for the event from the CRON Timer.

The things not clear to me are:
1. When the Process is invoked without the boolean variable to pass through then does the CORN Timer just automatically 'run' to check the CRON schedule to check if an event is due to be produced? My understanding is that a node in the Process do s not just 'run', it is invoked when the workflow 'hits' it?
2. Once the XOR converging gateway is passed won't the Process continue through to the End node and then finish, thereby leaving no CRON Timer thread to check to see if the next event is due to be produced? I.e. How do we make the PRocess run permanently? Is this achieved by a loop path in the workflow itself, maybe into that 1st XOR converging gateway where it waits for the event to be produced? If so is that std practice?

Thx.

Ed