[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Re: Drools-jBPM connection

Mauricio Salatino do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Aug 23 09:26:29 EDT 2011

Mauricio Salatino [http://community.jboss.org/people/salaboy21] created the discussion

"Re: Drools-jBPM connection"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/622376#622376

Hi renzo,
There is a whole new world behind running the processes and rules together in the same runtime (and don't forget events). Running rules and processes you can model and implement very complex scenarios that requires the execution of ordered activities as proposed by business processes and more unstructured activities and business logic using business rules. Combining them both you can drive business processes using business rules or orchestrate your business logic using as you mention business rule tasks and conditions. But you can also trigger new business processes, sub processes, dynamic branches, deal with expcetional situations, etc with business rules more easily, without complicating the process graph.
If you include events to the mix you can also model more dynamic aspects of your applications, like live streams of information that is coming from different sources and you need to evaluate, aggregate and correlate that information with your process status and your facts information in order to react in near real time.

I strongly suggest you to take a look at the emergency services application that we are developing to show how to architect and model complex scenarios using these technologies:

 http://salaboy.wordpress.com/2011/05/28/emergency-services-v2-jbpm5-and-drools-blueprint/ http://salaboy.wordpress.com/2011/05/28/emergency-services-v2-jbpm5-and-drools-blueprint/
 https://salaboy.wordpress.com/2011/08/12/emergency-services-v3-proposed-features/ https://salaboy.wordpress.com/2011/08/12/emergency-services-v3-proposed-features/

source code:
 https://github.com/Salaboy/emergency-service-drools-app https://github.com/Salaboy/emergency-service-drools-app

Best Regards

PS: we are currently working on the version 3 of the application, so I think its a very good opportunity to help us an learn in the process.