[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Alternatives to the jBPM web console

Wendy Schmitz do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Dec 6 16:08:23 EST 2011

Wendy Schmitz [http://community.jboss.org/people/wendyschmitz] created the discussion

"Alternatives to the jBPM web console"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/640162#640162

I have recently downloaded and ran examples that came with jBPM 5, as well as reviewed the User Guide. I am researching on how to embed the jBPM engine into a custom web app, which will provide the UI (currently plan on using RichFaces) to invoke user/human task actions, kick off process instances etc.

I am still unclear on how all the components of jBPM fits together and how I can achieve my goal. A few questions below.

+Please see the diagram here  (http://community.jboss.org/docs/DOC-13839#Main_components)for a breakdown of the jBPM components/terminologies.+

1. Is it correct to say that my custom Richfaces webapp will replace the entire +GWT console+ that came shipped in the installation, and that it will communicate directly with the +Process Engine?+
2. What is the need for GWT Server component running on client machines?
3. If I defined my own web console to communicate with the Process Engine, it means that it needs to work off a different implementation of the Integration Layer. How does the Integration Layer Impl interact with the Process Engine - what API is involved and where are the Javadocs located? I should also mention that I have trouble locating Javadocs for jbpm (org.jbpm.* packages). The only Javadoc that came with the install was Knowledge API (org.drools.* packages).
4. Is Knowledge API the only interface that my custom web app will interact with in order to execute the Process Engine?

Thanks,
Wendy