[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Combining human and automated tasks

Tommer Wizansky do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Dec 12 03:40:39 EST 2011

Tommer Wizansky [http://community.jboss.org/people/twizansk] created the discussion

"Combining human and automated tasks"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/640994#640994

Hi All,

I am trying to create a work flow  that includes a human task, followed by an automated task which should run after the human task is completed.

Here's the naive implementation:

 http://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-640994-17509/flow1.png  http://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-640994-17509/450-57/flow1.png

I start the process which reaches the human task and pauses.  I then create a human task client and complete the task.  The process then continues to the script task and completes successfully.  The problem is that this works only when the process and client task are being invoked in the same method call (as is the case in all of the jBPM examples).

However I would like to begin the process from one service and complete the human task at some arbitrary time in the future using a completely different service.  Since the human task service and jBPM process engine are sharing the same DB, this should be possible.  I just can't get it to work.

The only thing the works for me is the more complicated configuration:

 http://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-640994-17510/flow2.png  http://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-640994-17510/450-144/flow2.png
where I have to raise the event manually when the human task is completed.  This seems overly complex.

Can anyone help me implement the simpler version?

Thanks