[jboss-user] [JBoss AOP] - Stuck trying to get HotSwap weaving going with JBoss AS 6

Mark DeSpain do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Jul 7 19:48:14 EDT 2011

Mark DeSpain [http://community.jboss.org/people/markdespain] created the discussion

"Stuck trying to get HotSwap weaving going with JBoss AS 6"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/614021#614021

I've been able to get loadtime weaving going, but not hotswap weaving.   I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me get over this hurdle.

To prepare the environment for HotSwap, I've tried going the following
1. In *$JBOSS_HOME/server/all/conf/bootstrap/aop.xml*, set *enableLoadtimeWeaving* to true.
2. Placed a copy of the *pluggable-instrumentor.jar* that comes with JBoss AS 6 into *$JBOSS_HOME/bin*
3. Passed in *-javaagent:pluggable-instrumentor.jar=-hotSwap* as a argument to Java.  This was attemped both by passing it in via an Eclipse JVM parameter, and by editing *run.conf.bat*.
4. Placed my application's EAR file containing the class to be instrumented into the *$JBOSS_HOME/server/all/deploy* directory.
5. Placed a file called *prepare-aop.xml* within *$JBOSS_HOME/server/all/deploy*, for the purposes of preparing a class for HotSwap AOP.  It just contains the following:

<aop xmlns="urn:jboss:aop-beans:1.0">
 <prepare expr="all(mypackage.MyClass)" />
</aop>

Now, when I start the server, my application gets loaded, I can the URL for MyClass, just fine.  However, my hope is that when I place a file called *myaspects-aop.xml* into *$JBOSS_HOME/server/all/deploy*, then MyClass would automatically get instrumented with the aspect below, which just logs that it has been invoked.  However, that is not happening.

<aop xmlns="urn:jboss:aop-beans:1.0">
          <aspect class="mypackage.MyAspect"  scope="PER_JOINPOINT">
          </aspect>
          <bind pointcut="execution( * mypackage.MyClass->*(..) )">
                              <advice aspect="mypackage.MyAspect" />
          </bind>
</aop>

Any insight would be most appreciated!

Start a new discussion in JBoss AOP at Community
[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2027]