[jboss-user] [Beginner's Corner] - Re: Getting started example won't compile

Mark Miller do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Mar 21 08:30:02 EDT 2011

Mark Miller [http://community.jboss.org/people/developmentalmadness] created the discussion

"Re: Getting started example won't compile"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/594466#594466

> Why do you start with JEE4 instead of 5 or 6, any reason?

So the project is not a new project, I'm new to an existing project that was built using JBoss 4.2.3. I can't yet speak to why the project hasn't been upgraded, very possibly because it has been a one man show for a long time and there haven't been any resources to spend on upgrading.

> Where is the j2eetutorial from?

 http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/download-docs.html http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/download-docs.html

I'm trying to follow the getting started docs from here:  http://docs.jboss.org/jbossas/getting_started/v2/startguide40/ch01.html http://docs.jboss.org/jbossas/getting_started/v2/startguide40/ch01.html

But the site has changed since and the getting started guide no longer has links to the corresponding version of the supplimental files (jbossj2ee-src.zip) I can't seem to find the matching versions. I want to be able to follow the guide and get my environment setup for the correct version for development and debugging. If that is easy to do with different versions I don't mind that, I just need help finding where to start.

If it helps I am a .NET developer in a company that is an all Microsoft environment and have been asked to get up to speed on Java and help on an application that was aquired a while back and until now has been supported by a single developer that lives outside the US.