[jboss-user] [JNDI and Naming] - Change env-entry-value at runtim

- - do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu May 5 07:56:43 EDT 2011

- - [http://community.jboss.org/people/cchene] created the discussion

"Change env-entry-value at runtim"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/603666#603666

Hello

I would like a part of my webapp configuration to be server-dependant, meaning I want to have a different value when deploying in my jboss dev instance and in the production environment. And I would like not to repackage the development WAR before deploying in production env, nor would I like to restart the server to take some config file into account.

I guessed that JNDI could help (but I may be wrong, any comment will be much appreciated...)

But there is no way I can found to edit at runtime the env-entry that I've added to my web.xml file.

I was able to do this with Tomcat using the "admin tool" (I could see the set of env-entries of my web.xml in the "Resources / Environment entries" section).

Here is my web.xml file:
<web-app id="JndiVarUse">
    <!-- some servlet and servlet mapping definitions -->
    <env-entry>
        <env-entry-name>message</env-entry-name>
        <env-entry-value>Message from web.xml</env-entry-value>
        <env-entry-type>java.lang.String</env-entry-type>
    </env-entry>
</web-app>

By the way, here is another question: how come I can't see the env-entry in the JMX JNDIView with JBoss 5.1 whereas it could be seen with JBoss 4.2.3 ?

Thanks for the help !

Start a new discussion in JNDI and Naming at Community
[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2083]