[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Re: Dynamic parallel executions

Esteban Aliverti do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri May 13 11:53:12 EDT 2011

Esteban Aliverti [http://community.jboss.org/people/eaa] created the discussion

"Re: Dynamic parallel executions"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/605212#605212

AFAIK, the max thread number configuration is related to KnowledgeBase partitioning and it has nothing to do with jBPM. jBPM 5 always uses a single execution thread (unless you are using timers). When the execution reaches a diverge gteway, or a multiple instance node, one of the paths is selected and executed to its end. After the path is completed (and if the process is not yet completed), the second path is selected, and so on.

This behavior has some implications. Think for example in this scnenario:

 http://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-605212-16392/Selection_034.png  http://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-605212-16392/450-201/Selection_034.png
Even when you have a parallel diverge gateway, only one of the tasks is going to be executed (and you don't know which one!!). The thing is that I'm using an XOR converge gateway, so when the first task is completed (let say Task B), the gateway will continue the execution to the end node. So, in this case, Task A will not be executed. If we were using multi-threading, both Tasks will start, but strange things will happen if the process ends but one of the path is still running (I'm using just one task in each path, but things could be much more complicated) .