[jboss-user] [jBPM] - New JBPM5-Module for JBoss 7

Markus Dahm do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Nov 16 10:53:42 EST 2011

Markus Dahm [http://community.jboss.org/people/dahm] created the discussion

"New JBPM5-Module for JBoss 7"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/636802#636802

Hi,

we'd like to use JBPM 5.1 in our project that is developed for JBoss 7.

However we currently face two major deficiencies (never mind  :p ):

- JPA2 is not supported
- There is some hard-coded persistence.xml in the jbpm-human-task JAR

This has been discussed in depth elsewhere. We were looking for solutions...

Our approach is to create a JBPM module for JBoss 7 which may be added to your server's configuration.
In my point of view this has the advantage that we can use JBPM as a service and do
not have to add all dependencies to all of our deployment units. Furthermore we want to avoid version conflicts
between the JAR versions used in JBoss 7 and JBPM 5.

The module uses a slightly patched version of the JBPM entity classes, i.e. they are modified to support JPA2
(which in fact was no big deal). Secondly we removed the persistence.xml file from the JAR.
The module bundles all absolutely necessary dependencies into on place.
The other dependencies - to Hibernate in particular - are resolved by configuration, since they already come for free
with JBoss 7.

If there is a bug fix or if we want to upgrade to - say - JBPM 5.2.Final this is just a matter of server configuration, i.e. updating the module.
The application development should remain unaffected.

I commited a first (cumbersome) version to

 https://github.com/akquinet/jboss-as7-jbpm-module https://github.com/akquinet/jboss-as7-jbpm-module

Any feedback will be welcome...

Cheers
  Markus