[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools] - Hacking AS7 using Eclipse

Bob Fields do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Oct 20 16:20:04 EDT 2011

Bob Fields [http://community.jboss.org/people/bobfields] commented on the document

"Hacking AS7 using Eclipse"

To view all comments on this document, visit: http://community.jboss.org/docs/DOC-16718#comment-7955

You should update the screen shot and references to show the m2e plugin, which replaced the deprecated m2eclipse plugin when the code moved from Sonatype to Eclipse.org. See  http://eclipse.org/m2e/ http://eclipse.org/m2e/. There are some pretty nice validations now in the pom configuration, catching things like duplicated/overridden versions, however there are also new errors when m2e doesn't recognize a plugin (i.e. antrun, buildhelper, hibernate3) and says it is not covered by the build lifecycle. The errors can be safely ignored (or fixed permanently in the pom through QuickFix, which adds a plugin configuration for Eclipse).

I usually just change the order of the libraries under the project build path to put the JRE last, under the 'Order and Export' tab. For the life of me I don't know why the m2e plugin puts it in front of the maven dependencies, since maven is always used to override typically older versions contained within the JDK such as xml-apis and Jaxb2.

Another annoyance is the m2e plugin will exclude ** under resources and under directories added through the buildhelper plugin, making it impossible to run unit tests directly from the Eclispe IDE. Change to 'None' to fix.

If you update your maven project configuration (to fix the error that it is out of date), you have to go through the same steps again.