[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Re: passing data to nodes

Ryan Peterson do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Sep 6 19:29:31 EDT 2011

Ryan Peterson [http://community.jboss.org/people/rrpeterson] created the discussion

"Re: passing data to nodes"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/625145#625145

I'm going through this myself, so far I've found:

Put the variable into the map like you wrote:

Map<String, Object> params = new HashMap<String, Object>();
boolean examOK = false;
params.put("examOK", examOK);

ksession.startProcess("com.sample.bpmn.hello", params);

Then in the bpmn definition, you need to have the process variables (if you want a global process variable I think?):
<itemDefinition id="_examOK" structureRef="java.lang.Boolean" />

and within the process def itself (still in the .bpmn file):
<property id="examOK" itemSubjectRef="_examOK"/>

You also need the dataInput mapped to your task (within your task, that lies inside the process):
<dataInput id="_999_examOK" name="examOK" />

<inputSet>
<dataInputRefs>_999_examOK</dataInputRefs>
</inputSet>

<dataInputAssociation>
        <sourceRef>examOK</sourceRef>
        <targetRef>_999_examOK</targetRef>
</dataInputAssociation>

That will map it into your workItemHandler, so you can obtain it via:
Boolean examOk = (Boolean) workItem.getParameter("examOK");

I'm not 100% sure if this is the "correct" way to implement this.  I'm unsure if this variable is global for all processes, for instance: what if the process is started multiple times for multiple users?  Does each process implementation get its own global examOk boolean using this method?