[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Native data types out of a workflow

Chris Nash do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Sep 14 16:42:43 EDT 2011

Chris Nash [http://community.jboss.org/people/code_monkey] created the discussion

"Native data types out of a workflow"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/626560#626560

I have a workflow I want to inject data into and get data out of. I got the data injection part down, thanks in part to the examples. But I'm having trouble getting data out. If I get inject an Object in, I can alter it in the workflow and get the changed version out. However, if I pass in a native type (e.g. String, int), I can change it all I want in the workflow. The changes stay in effect in the workflow, but are lost upon exit (I assume because Java passes native types by value, and not by reference).

I assume I need to do some sort of mapping thing to get them out right before the workflow terminates, but I can't find a discussion on this. Is this correct or do I have to convert all my data types to custom Objects in order to get them back out of the workflow?

Thanks for any pointers!