[jboss-user] [jBPM] - How to complete custom Work Item Handler

Miljenko Norsic do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Sep 22 11:01:34 EDT 2011

Miljenko Norsic [http://community.jboss.org/people/mnorsic] created the discussion

"How to complete custom Work Item Handler"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/628066#628066

Hi all,

I have a question about custom work item handlers. I've seen a way to do it (chapter 13 on domain-specific processes in JBPM User Guide), but the samples are mostly simple, and include a TestWorkItemHandler that simply prints out work item information and then calls completeWorkItem() method on WorkItemManager object.

On the other hand, if I have an access to a ksession, I can call

ksession.getWorkItemManager().completeWorkItem(id, params);

The requirements for my scenario include some custom work item handlers that are going to contain some external business logic, but can stay in an active state (it means that work item handler would not call completeWorkItem() and abortWorkItem()). And everything is persisted in a database and I cannot remember work item in the meantime because there is going to be a batch job that is going to process all pending processes.

Is there a way to continue with the custom work handler at the place where it stopped? If so, how can I wake up that custom work item handler?
I did not see a way to send a signal to a custom work item handler, is it possible?

Thanks,
Miljenko