[jboss-user] [jBPM] - JBPM4 Migrating from Oracle to Postgres, Transaction Error on JBPM4_LOB

Jeff Maas do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Sep 29 13:48:47 EDT 2011

Jeff Maas [http://community.jboss.org/people/jeff_maas] created the discussion

"JBPM4 Migrating from Oracle to Postgres,  Transaction Error on JBPM4_LOB"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/629406#629406

I have inherited an enterprise service bus style application (MULE,JBPM4,Hibernate,Spring) and have been tasked with migrating the application from Oracle to Postgres.  Much of this has gone without a hitch however I have run into a problem that I beleve others have seen before.  Specifically Postgres8.4 does not appear to like auto-commits on OID -> LOB,  which appears to be key with how JBPM4_LOB works.

[http-80-2] [org.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter] Large Objects may not be used in auto-commit mode.

Root Exception stack trace:
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Large Objects may not be used in auto-commit mode.
        at org.postgresql.largeobject.LargeObjectManager.open(LargeObjectManager.java:200)
        at org.postgresql.largeobject.LargeObjectManager.open(LargeObjectManager.java:172)
        at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2BlobClob.<init>(AbstractJdbc2BlobClob.java:47)
        at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Blob.<init>(AbstractJdbc2Blob.java:21)
        at org.postgresql.jdbc3.AbstractJdbc3Blob.<init>(AbstractJdbc3Blob.java:19)
        at org.postgresql.jdbc4.AbstractJdbc4Blob.<init>(AbstractJdbc4Blob.java:20)
        at org.postgresql.jdbc4.Jdbc4Blob.<init>(Jdbc4Blob.java:20)
        at org.postgresql.jdbc4.Jdbc4ResultSet.getBlob(Jdbc4ResultSet.java:52)
        at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2ResultSet.getBlob(AbstractJdbc2ResultSet.java:335)
        at com.mchange.v2.c3p0.impl.NewProxyResultSet.getBlob(NewProxyResultSet.java:285)
        at org.hibernate.type.BlobType.get(BlobType.java:80)

Admittedly I'm a bit out of my element,  I've tried various forum searched and googles but haven't found a beginners guide to a none beginneres topic.  It would appear I must add a transaction around JBPM4_LOB even though in the context that it is used it is absolutely reaad only.

Nowehere else do I use BLOB's and right now I've got the various jbpm4 libraries (maven) on my classpath.  But I'm at a loss on how to deal with this issue surrounding auto-commit.  I've tried various forms of turning auto-commit off at the hibernate level but to no avail.  Previous seraches in the forum suggest others have had this issue but I'm not sure if anyone has recieved an answer.  Any help or sympathy is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff