[jboss-user] [JBoss Messaging] - EJBException: Failed to acquire the pool semaphore

Samuel Tannous do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Apr 20 03:18:39 EDT 2012

Samuel Tannous [https://community.jboss.org/people/stannous] created the discussion

"EJBException: Failed to acquire the pool semaphore"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/731246#731246

Hi Guys,

I see that this problem's come up a few times in the past but our scenario is different so I'll raise it again. We're using ActiveMQ in JBoss 6 and are seeing intermittent errors dispatching messages which causes them to be lost (the JMX consolde shows that they've been dequeued but the listener never gets them).

There's a good explanation of the "Failed to acquire the pool semaphore" error here:  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7015583/ejbexception-failed-to-acquire-the-pool-semaphore http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7015583/ejbexception-failed-to-acquire-the-pool-semaphore

And it sounds simple enough except we're not using prefetch... so my question is, how can this error occur when messages are being polled instead of batched?

Our embedded broker url is:
vm://myBroker?create=false&*jms.prefetchPolicy.all=0*&jms.alwaysSyncSend=true

The ejb3-interceptors-aop.xml MDB config is default (@org.jboss.ejb3.annotation.Pool (value="StrictMaxPool", maxSize=15, timeout=10000))

The message listener is annotated with:
@MessageDriven(name = "MyListener", messageListenerInterface = javax.jms.MessageListener.class, activationConfig = {
        @ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName = "destinationType", propertyValue = "javax.jms.Queue"),
        @ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName = "maxSessions", propertyValue = "20"),
        @ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName = "destination", propertyValue = "queue/com.myorg.MyQueue") })

The stack's attached:

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Sam

Start a new discussion in JBoss Messaging at Community
[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2042]