[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Is it possible to get the StatefulKnowledgeSession/processInstance from solely its ID?

Bing Lim do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Aug 2 15:33:46 EDT 2012

Bing Lim [https://community.jboss.org/people/binglim] created the discussion

"Is it possible to get the StatefulKnowledgeSession/processInstance from solely its ID?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/751749#751749

Hi,

I have some questions on how to obtain the StatefulKnowledgeSession or processInstance that is running concurrently with another program.

>From the documentation, it states that it's possible to make external calls using
* processInstance.signalEvent(type, eventData);
* ksession.signalEvent(type, eventData);

When I run my first .java file, I stored the current ksession.getId() and processInstanceId into a xml file and have a signal node at the converging gateway to wait for external signaling before continuing with the workflow.
 https://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-751749-19140/externalSignaling.JPG  https://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-751749-19140/450-99/externalSignaling.JPG

After that, I ran another bpmn workflow that reads the xml file for both the ksession ID and processInstance ID.
However, I do not know how to use those 2 information to signal the signal node from the first bpmn workflow to continue with the workflow.

(I was able to print out the String reperesentation of the 2 IDs but whenever I create a new ksession and do   ksession.getWorkItemManager().registerWorkItemHandler("Signaling", new Signaling(ksession.getProcessInstance(Id)));
I kept getting nullPointerException )
-Signaling is a service node that does either ProcessInstance.signalEvent("Signal", null);  or session.signalEvent("Signal", null); (Tried both ways but didn't work)

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
Bing