[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Can jBPM process automation be embedded into an existing Java project?

Shawn Poulson do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Dec 17 14:14:00 EST 2012

Shawn Poulson [https://community.jboss.org/people/spoulson] created the discussion

"Can jBPM process automation be embedded into an existing Java project?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/783771#783771

I'm looking for a framework for automating an approval workflow in a custom developed Java webapp.  The curent workflow logic is entirely manual and doesn't scale.  It appears that jBPM is an ideal solution for mapping out the process workflow.

What I would prefer to do is attempt to embed jBPM to run entirely within the existing project and database (which happens to be Sybase ASE).  I read over the user guide and looked over the samples.  What's not clear to me is how to use anything other than the demo installation.  Some of the key questions I have are:

1) Demo runs its database in H2.  How do I migrate to another database?  Will I need to replicate the schema manually or are there scripts?
2) I'm not understanding why the human task service runs as an external service.  Couldn't I launch it in-process of my webapp project?  If so, how is this done?

I apologize if any of these questions are clearly in a manual somewhere.  Hopefully someone can direct me to better understanding the product to see if it works for me.
Thanks.