[jboss-user] [jBPM] - signal event doesn't work from REST API

Rudi Fisher do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Jan 28 09:44:10 EST 2012

Rudi Fisher [https://community.jboss.org/people/rudi_fisher] created the discussion

"signal event doesn't work from REST API"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/649256#649256

I want to use REST API to call signal. There is some implementation in ProcessMgmtFacade of gwt-console-server for this. I see the source code and I finelly found this in CommandDelegate of jbpm-gwt-core:

public void signalExecution(String executionId, String signal) {
   ksession.getProcessInstance(new Long(executionId)).signalEvent("signal", signal);
}

This doesn't fulfil my requirements so I made changes to this class recompile and redeploy. This step is OK, because I made some other changes about this REST API (start process with params) and everythings work fins, so I think the problem is not in this my changed implementation of CommandDelegate. New implementation is:

public void signalExecution(String executionId, String eventType, String eventValue) {
   ksession.getProcessInstance(new Long(executionId)).signalEvent(eventType, eventValue);
}

I took example of signal event from original examples to be sure that process is designed OK. I took BPMN2-EventBasedSplit.bpmn2. I tested in Eclipse and works fine - after signal call, process cointinued and finally finished. I deployed this process into my Guvnor repo and started by GWT console. Process stopped and waits at signal nodes (see attached picture).
 https://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-649256-17846/BPMN2-EventBasedSplit.bpmn2_signal_problem.jpg  https://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-649256-17846/450-83/BPMN2-EventBasedSplit.bpmn2_signal_problem.jpg
At this point I wanted to push process by send signal event by REST API with new implementation. Method signalExecution in CommandDelegate is called OK and this method take correct process instance (I have log line there to see process instance). But it seems signalEvent on process instance doesn't work. I'm using the same parameters for signal event in Eclipse and in CommandDelegate. I'm confused about what is different between execution in unit test in Eclipse and at server. I made many tests and examples but my probem has no solution to this day. I found some discussion about similar issues but this not solve this problem.
Working unit test in Eclipse

public static final void main(String[] args) throws Exception {
    // load up the knowledge base
    KnowledgeBase kbase = readKnowledgeBase();
    StatefulKnowledgeSession ksession = kbase.newStatefulKnowledgeSession();
    ProcessInstance processInstance = ksession.startProcess("com.sample.test");
    System.out.println("process instance:" + processInstance.getState());
    ksession.signalEvent("Yes", "YesValue", processInstance.getId());
    System.out.println("process instance:" + ksession.getProcessInstance(processInstance.getId()));
    // NO
    processInstance = ksession.startProcess("com.sample.test");
    System.out.println("process instance:" + processInstance.getState());
    //ksession = restoreSession(ksession, true);
    ksession.signalEvent("No", "NoValue", processInstance.getId());
    System.out.println("process instance:" + ksession.getProcessInstance(processInstance.getId()));
}

private static KnowledgeBase readKnowledgeBase() throws Exception {
    KnowledgeBuilder kbuilder = KnowledgeBuilderFactory.newKnowledgeBuilder();
    kbuilder.add(ResourceFactory.newClassPathResource("BPMN2-EventBasedSplit.bpmn2"), ResourceType.BPMN2);
    return kbuilder.newKnowledgeBase();
}

Not working code in CommandDelegate and calling at GWT server

ksession.getProcessInstance(new Long(executionId)).signalEvent("Yes", "YesValue");

For BPMN2-EventBasedSplit.bpmn2 see official examples in version 5.2.0 Final