[jboss-user] [Beginner's Corner] - Migrating wars from tomcat to jboss AS 7

Heinz JRookie do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Jan 31 07:04:16 EST 2012

Heinz JRookie [https://community.jboss.org/people/Jrookie_2402] created the discussion

"Migrating wars from tomcat to jboss AS 7"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/649630#649630

Hi all,
yes, I am a newbie to jboss. I have worked quite a while using tomcat and developped spring and struts2 applications. Now I started to learn more about hibernate and changed to jboss as ver 7.
I really thought I could just copy my old apps from tomcat webapps directory to jboss as standalone/deployments directory and everything would run fine. How could I be so optimistic!! :-))

I downloaded jboss-as-helloworld examples and they are running fine, so I think in principle everything is ok with my installation. It seems jboss cannot find the starting classes within the wars, but why and what can I do???
Take a look at my jboss log out, somewhere after deploying successfully my helloworld examples:

12:30:49,734 INFO  [org.jboss.as.server.controller] (Controller Boot Thread) Deployed "jboss-as-helloworld-gwt.war"
12:30:49,735 INFO  [org.jboss.as.server.controller] (Controller Boot Thread) Deployed "jboss-as-helloworld.war"
12:30:49,746 INFO  [org.jboss.as.server.deployment] (MSC service thread 1-3) Starting deployment of "example3.war"
12:30:49,747 INFO  [org.jboss.as.server.deployment] (MSC service thread 1-6) Starting deployment of "fuzei.war"
12:30:49,861 INFO  [org.jboss.as.jpa] (MSC service thread 1-7) added javax.persistence.api dependency to example3.war
12:30:49,868 ERROR [org.jboss.msc.service.fail] (MSC service thread 1-8) MSC00001: Failed to start service jboss.deployment.unit."example3.war".INSTALL: org.jboss.msc.service.StartException in service jboss.deployment.unit."example3.war".INSTALL: Failed to process phase INSTALL of deployment "example3.war"
    at org.jboss.as.server.deployment.DeploymentUnitPhaseService.start(DeploymentUnitPhaseService.java:121)
    at org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl$StartTask.startService(ServiceControllerImpl.java:1824)
    at org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl$StartTask.run(ServiceControllerImpl.java:1759)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source) [:1.7.0]
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) [:1.7.0]
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) [:1.7.0]
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to load class de.akdabas.jli.j2ee.tags.IterationTag
    at org.jboss.as.ee.component.deployers.EEClassConfigurationProcessor$1.compute(EEClassConfigurationProcessor.java:141)
    at org.jboss.as.ee.component.deployers.EEClassConfigurationProcessor$1.compute(EEClassConfigurationProcessor.java:122)
    at org.jboss.as.ee.component.LazyValue.get(LazyValue.java:40)
    at org.jboss.as.ee.component.EEApplicationDescription.getClassConfiguration(EEApplicationDescription.java:183)
    at org.jboss.as.ee.component.ComponentDescription.createConfiguration(ComponentDescription.java:153)
    at org.jboss.as.ee.component.deployers.EEModuleConfigurationProcessor.deploy(EEModuleConfigurationProcessor.java:70)
    at org.jboss.as.server.deployment.DeploymentUnitPhaseService.start(DeploymentUnitPhaseService.java:115)
    ... 5 more
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: de.akdabas.jli.j2ee.tags.IterationTag from [Module "deployment.example3.war:main" from Service Module Loader]
    at org.jboss.modules.ModuleClassLoader.findClass(ModuleClassLoader.java:191)
    at org.jboss.modules.ConcurrentClassLoader.performLoadClassChecked(ConcurrentClassLoader.java:361)
    at org.jboss.modules.ConcurrentClassLoader.performLoadClassChecked(ConcurrentClassLoader.java:333)
    at org.jboss.modules.ConcurrentClassLoader.performLoadClass(ConcurrentClassLoader.java:310)
    at org.jboss.modules.ConcurrentClassLoader.loadClass(ConcurrentClassLoader.java:103)
    at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method) [:1.7.0]
    at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source) [:1.7.0]
    at org.jboss.as.ee.component.deployers.EEClassConfigurationProcessor$1.compute(EEClassConfigurationProcessor.java:139)
    ... 11 more

wanna see the contents of my war??

E:\Entwicklung\jboss\jboss-as-web-7.0.2.Final\standalone\deployments>jar tf example3.war
META-INF/
META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
WEB-INF/
WEB-INF/classes/
WEB-INF/classes/de/
WEB-INF/classes/de/akdabas/
WEB-INF/classes/de/akdabas/jli/
WEB-INF/classes/de/akdabas/jli/j2ee/
WEB-INF/classes/de/akdabas/jli/j2ee/servlets/
WEB-INF/classes/tags/
WEB-INF/tlds/
FormattedDate.jsp
HandleError.jsp
Iterate.jsp
ProduceError.jsp
Secure.jsp
SimpleDate.jsp
WEB-INF/classes/DatenbankServlet.class
WEB-INF/classes/HelloWorld.class
WEB-INF/classes/HelloWorld3.class
WEB-INF/classes/ImageServlet.class
WEB-INF/classes/Weiterleiten.class
WEB-INF/classes/de/akdabas/jli/j2ee/servlets/DatenbankServlet.class
WEB-INF/classes/tags/FilterSecureTag.class
WEB-INF/classes/tags/FormattedDateTag.class
WEB-INF/classes/tags/IterationTag.class
WEB-INF/classes/tags/SimpleDateTag.class
WEB-INF/tlds/jli.tld
WEB-INF/web.xml
background.jsp
beanInput.jsp
beanOutput.jsp
callee.jsp
caller.jsp
carpeDiem.jsp
counter1.jsp
counter2.jsp
dayOfWeek.jsp
forward.jsp
includeDirektive.jsp
includeTag.jsp
index.jsp
isSunday.jsp
numberGuess.jsp
numberGuess_2.jsp
numberGuess_debug.jsp
readHeaders.jsp
readParam.jsp
readParams.jsp
readParams_debug.jsp
simple.jsp
xml.jsp

I can see that there is a difference in the path to the class IterationTag, but why does it work on tomcat and not in jboss. I thought I was independant from the server, if I build a war file.
Any ideas??
Little bit confused.
JRookie

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2075]