[jboss-user] [JBoss Web Services] - Re: WS-Security without Spring, without WS-Policy and without the CXF annotations?

Matt Wringe do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Jul 31 09:52:34 EDT 2012

Matt Wringe [https://community.jboss.org/people/mwringe] created the discussion

"Re: WS-Security without Spring, without WS-Policy and without the CXF annotations?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/751233#751233

I know (and mentioned) those configuration options in my original post  :)  As mentioned:

1) we can't use ws-policy since its against the wsrp spec

2) adding annotations to add in interceptors means that our purely jax java service classes now have to become dependent on cxf (which doesn't make a lot of sense since have to support non-cxf based web services, and we also want an admin to be able to enable/disable the interceptors themselves).

3) we don't want to have to bring in spring just to configure the web service. And this doesn't appear to the preferred method of configuring jbossws (but it is the preferred way to configure cxf).

The client side is fine, I can easily add in the interceptors here.

The problem is how to configure the server. Using JBossWS Native stack I could just use the pre and post handlers to add in proper soap handlers for ws-security, this was simple and straight forward and configurable from an admin perspective. The ws-security setup could be handled outside of the service configuration (add in the options in the web.xml file to specify the endpoint config name and config file). It would be perfect if we could add in interceptors also in this manner, but this option doesn't seem to exist (which is strange since in cxf interceptors are the preferred method).

Its strange that CXF is the preferred web service stack in JBossAS, and the preferred way to configure CXF is using Spring configuration files, but JBossAS doesn't ship or include Spring. So we can't properly configure web services the way they were meant to be configured.

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2044]