[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools] - Re: How do we use JBoss Tools with the JBoss AS 7 Fedora package?

Dan Allen do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sun Jun 3 18:40:25 EDT 2012

Dan Allen [https://community.jboss.org/people/dan.j.allen] created the discussion

"Re: How do we use JBoss Tools with the JBoss AS 7 Fedora package?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/739558#739558

Oh, duh. You're right, it's not m2e. The META-INF/MANIFEST.MF (from target/m2e-wtp/web-resources) just happens to be the first file the publisher is attempting to copy to the deployment directory.

Anyway, I found the bug. Just as I suspected, somewhere in the org.jboss.ide.eclipse.as.core plugin, the custom tempDeployDirectory is not being respected. I found it in the worst of places, the generic copyFile() method, which is responsible for copying all the web resources to the deployment folder. copyFile() calls writeToTempFile(), which calls getTempFolder() and that's where the wrong temp folder is choosen.

Here's the offending code in  http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/jbosstools/trunk/as/plugins/org.jboss.ide.eclipse.as.core/jbosscore/org/jboss/ide/eclipse/as/core/server/xpl/LocalCopyCallback.java org.jboss.ide.eclipse.as.core.server.xpl.LocalCopyCallback:

protected File getTempFolder() {
    File f = null;
    if (tmpDeployRootFolder != null) {
        f = tmpDeployRootFolder.toFile();
    }
    // ^^^ Bad logic
    else if (server != null) {
        String path = ServerConverter.getDeployableServer(server).getTempDeployFolder();
        f = new File(path);
    }
    else {
        return tempDir;
    }
    if (!f.exists())
        f.mkdirs();
    return f;
}

Notice that the method +first+ looks to see if the server has a temp deploy folder in the installation root (e.g., JBOSS_HOME/standalone/tmp). Of course, the JBoss AS 7 installation *does* have this folder, but it +should not+ be used if a custom tempDeployDir is specified. Only if this folder is missing (which it never will be) does this existing code honor the tempDeployDir setting. That's a bug.

That explains why the JBoss Tools server is attempting to write to /usr/share/jboss-as/standalone/tmp and thus why the deployment is failing.

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]