[jboss-user] [Beginner's Corner] - Re: getting started unit testing - embedded JBoss AS 7?

Matthew Cornell do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Jun 8 08:27:37 EDT 2012

Matthew Cornell [https://community.jboss.org/people/matthewcornell] created the discussion

"Re: getting started unit testing - embedded JBoss AS 7?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/740676#740676

Thank you - I'm still working on the terminology. I'm using "embedded" to mean starting a Java EE server in the same JVM as the tests then shutting it down when they're through. I understand I don't need a full blown container for unit testing (which I can do with mocks, and with properly-designed code), but I do need it for integration testing. In my case I use JAX-RS to expose my app as a REST service (it's also an EJB), and JPA to store the underlying data. My app is currently very simple, which is why I'm surprised that the tools haven't satisfied so far. Clearly my approach is talking to me, and I need to take a different tack.

I've also heard the terms "in-container" and "out-of-container" testing, "managed" from you, and "remote", so I'm still a bit confused. If Arquillian can very quickly deploy my app to a container that is not in my JVM, but is local, then I think that would satisfy my needs. If this is true, then my looking for an Arquillian container adapter for JBoss AS 7 embedded is the wrong query. However, I looked for version 7 support at  http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.jboss.arquillian.container http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.jboss.arquillian.container , but I didn't find it. Is Arquillian JBoss support still active? The ones I did find were:

 http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.jboss.arquillian.container/arquillian-jbossas-embedded-6 http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.jboss.arquillian.container/arquillian-jbossas-embedded-6
 http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.jboss.arquillian.container/arquillian-jbossas-managed-6 http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.jboss.arquillian.container/arquillian-jbossas-managed-6
 http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.jboss.arquillian.container/arquillian-jbossas-embedded-60 http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.jboss.arquillian.container/arquillian-jbossas-embedded-60
 http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.jboss.arquillian.container/arquillian-jbossas-local-60 http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.jboss.arquillian.container/arquillian-jbossas-local-60

Maybe my confusion is understandable! Any clarity you can provide would really help.

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2075]