[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] - Re: Not specifying an -Xms value

Wolf-Dieter Fink do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Jun 21 02:39:11 EDT 2012

Wolf-Dieter Fink [https://community.jboss.org/people/wdfink] created the discussion

"Re: Not specifying an -Xms value"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/743258#743258

I'm not sure about all JVM implementations but as far as I remember, I checked only my JDK6/7 on Fedora but worked also with Sun/HP, the OS will allocate the amount of -Xms and increase it very fast if you load big applications.
But it need a bit warmup to reach -Xmx, also it is possible that the JVM free memory if the servers throughput is less in off-peak phases.

So I strongly agree to Peter's statement how to set the parameter in dev/prod.

What you should never do is to set the sum of all servers (-Xmx + -MaxPermSize + ThreadStackSize) to an amount near or above the physical memory. This will end up in a worst performance because of swapping.

Start a new discussion in Performance Tuning at Community
[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2078]