[jboss-user] [jBPM] - How to model human-task with sub-employees

Ryan Peterson do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Mar 8 16:57:34 EST 2012

Ryan Peterson [https://community.jboss.org/people/rrpeterson] created the discussion

"How to model human-task with sub-employees"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/722660#722660

Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to model the following workflow:
Starting from the top down (let's say CEO), an employee is responsible for submitting a review for their direct employees.  Once the  review is submitted, that employee is responsible for reviewing their employees.  This behavior should repeat until the entire tree of employees within the company is traversed.

I've studied the "Evaluation" example, and this is similar to the behavior I need, except it's not dynamic.  It's fixed for a specific number of required reviews.  I have also looked into MultipleInstance, that runs a sub-process once for each element in a collection, which is also similar to what I need, except each sub-employee must wait until their subervisor completes their review before being allowed to review the next level of employees.  Say for instance a notification is sent when the CEO should review his/her employees, once those reviews are done the next level of employees receive a notification that they need to review their employees, etc.

If anyone has any suggestions how to model this within jBPM5/BPMN I'd really appreciate it!