[jboss-user] [jBPM] - jBPM Eclipse modeler: How to enter a numerical value to a service node input parameter

whabelitz do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Mar 28 05:36:12 EDT 2012

whabelitz [https://community.jboss.org/people/whabelitz] created the discussion

"jBPM Eclipse modeler: How to enter a numerical value to a service node input parameter"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/726870#726870

I #####use jBPM 5.0 and want to apply domain-specific service nodes with parameters of type Integer.
So I define for the Eclipse process modeler something like
 [
     "name" : "TestNode",
     "parameters" : [
         "stringPara": new StringDataType(),
         "intPara" : new IntegerDataType(),
     ],
     "results" : [
         "intResult" : new IntegerDataType(),
     ],
     "displayName" : "Test activity",
     "icon" : "icons/action.gif"
 ]
in my WorkDefinitions.conf file.

How can I now enter integer values inside the process modeler when using such a service node?
If I just enter a numerical value inside the property pane, I get an error (ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Integer)
after saving and reopening the process definition. The expression inside the process definition looks like
      <dataInputAssociation>
        <targetRef>_2_intParaInput</targetRef>
        <assignment>
          <from xsi:type="tFormalExpression">1</from>
          <to xsi:type="tFormalExpression">_2_intParaInput</to>
        </assignment>
      </dataInputAssociation>

If no solution for Eclipse is available, can the web modeler (Oryx Designer) handle numerical parameters?  And can the web modeler be used standalone (without Guvnor) reading and writing process definitions from/to the file system?

If I manage to handle numerical values during process design, what is during runtime? Can I access this parameter inside a WorkItemHandler using "(Integer) workItem.getParameter("intPara")" or will this cause a class cast exception?

My work around at the moment is defining non string values inside a script node and using parameter mapping, but this is not a nice solution and inflate the process definition