[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Re: Is JBPM 5.2.0 production quality ?

Erik Vande Velde do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Mar 29 11:48:21 EDT 2012

Erik Vande Velde [https://community.jboss.org/people/erikv] created the discussion

"Re: Is JBPM 5.2.0 production quality ?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/727249#727249

Thanks for the swift response Mauricio,

The project deals with supporting the primary business process for a geotechnical consultancy company. The business process covers on site data acquisition (i.e. fieldwork), laboratory data aqcuisition, data processing, interpretation and integration, modelling of the sub-surface, geotechnical analysis and reporting in all these phases.

The system will allow
* sharing of geotechnical project information between project parties.
* project members (users) from different offices to collaborate on the same project.
* processing of workflows, including qa/qc, ground sample shipment and tracking, laboratory test execution, generation of planning of tasks, etc.
* back tracking of business processes, i.e. the user will be able to track which data was used in which process by whom and when to render the the data at hand.

We are still investigating for which processes to use jBPM. The logistical processes such as sending around and tracking and tracing ground samples all over the world seems to be a logical candidate.

We are also interested to learn whether we could use jBPM to support the geotechnical processes such as execution of laboratory tests. The laboratory testing processes (there are many different types of laboratory tests, i.e. many process definitions) consist of different phases (sub-processes) in which the user acquires data. In between the laboratory testing phases there is a waiting stage of several hours to a day. We think that the fact that business processes can be described declaratively is a big advantage as we have many different types of laboratory tests.

So in our current view jBPM could possibly be used throughout the whole system.

Hope this gives you enough background information.

Could you please
* give an example of a business scenario that can be solved with JBPM 5, but not with 3?
* explain which parts of the JBPM 5.2.0 installation are part of the product, and which ones are part of the demo?
* give us the status of the JBPM 5 book you are working on?
* explain how to best integrate JBPM 5.2.0 with a mysql database?

Salute