[jboss-user] [jBPM] - jbpm5-example-for-forms-with-variables

Bhaskaran Venkataraman do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed May 23 12:59:51 EDT 2012

Bhaskaran Venkataraman [https://community.jboss.org/people/bhaskarven] created the discussion

"jbpm5-example-for-forms-with-variables"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/737449#737449

I am trying to understand the example discussed in the following blog. Excellent example to explain the concepts.

 https://community.jboss.org/people/bpmn2user/blog/2011/02/21/jbpm5-example-for-forms-with-variables?page=1 https://community.jboss.org/people/bpmn2user/blog/2011/02/21/jbpm5-example-for-forms-with-variables?page=1

I have a few questions related to that.

1. What is the purpose of the "Preprocess" script task ?

    From the example it looks like it creates a map object and sets default values for modelNumber, quantity and priority. The map
     object that contains these parameters are mapped to map process variable by the code :

    kcontext.setVariable("map", map);

    The content parameter is set to map in the human task "Sample Order Task" as shown below in the properties window

    Parameter Mapping                    {content=map}

    When the user is going to input values in the human task form why is there a need to preset variables in the
    "Preprocess" script task ?( which are anyway going to be overwritten by the human task "Sample Order Task" )
     My understanding is that we only need result mapping to transfer the values entered by the user back
     to process variables.

    Am I missing something here ?

2. There are 2 ftl forms in the zip file "ProcessOrder.ftl" and "SampleApprovalTask.ftl" which I understand are related to the human tasks
     "Sample Order Task" and "Sample Approval Task". There is a third one "com.sample.bpmn.sampleHTformvariables.ftl" and also its image
     com.sample.bpmn.sampleHTformvariables.png. I did not understand the context for these 2 files ?

3. I believe the driver ( Java Program ) that came for the sample Evaluation application should work for this application also. Am I right ?

Your response will be greatly appreciated.