[jboss-user] [Beginner's Corner] - Re: Running several JBOSS 7_1_1 clusters on the same network

Siddhartha De do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Aug 2 05:16:32 EDT 2013

Siddhartha De [https://community.jboss.org/people/sid_de] created the discussion

"Re: Running several JBOSS 7_1_1 clusters on the same network"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/831120#831120

Hi Wolf ,

  Thank you for your answers .

Could you kindly elaborate on point 3  . I understand that the multicast-port is used for multicast messages which form the foundations of the cluster , but am still unclear as to what we need the port 55200 for .

Also a few further add-on questions :-

4> Let us say that I have 2 clusters running with different multicast address + port combinations ... in case the cluster names  are  the same , will there be an issue ?
5> The cluster names are the same as the names ( output of the hostname command ... assuming a Unix box ) of the first node starting the cluster right ?

6> Assuming that running more than 1 JBOSS cluster on the same network is a common requirement , what are the default methods that are generally used to guarantee unique multicast-address + port combinations ?
  In our case we were thinking about setting the last 3 octets of the multicast address as the same as the last 3 octets of the IP address of the first node of  the cluster   ( assuming locally assignable multicast addresses belong to the range 239.0.0.0  -  239.255.255.255  )     .

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2075]