[jboss-user] [Beginner's Corner] - Getting Up & Running with MySQL, DataNucleus & JDO

El Noobie do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Aug 2 15:03:40 EDT 2013

El Noobie [https://community.jboss.org/people/elnoobie] created the discussion

"Getting Up & Running with MySQL, DataNucleus & JDO"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/831210#831210

*Warning*:  I am a complete newbie with JBoss AS7.

*The Goal & Tools*
My primary goal is to get a complete service up and running locally (at first).  Later I will worry about moving things to OpenShift and playing around with that.  The key tool for all of this is just going to be use of Maven 3.x in order to get things built & deployed locally.  Therefore I'd like to stick with the standard Maven conventions for everything.*
*

*Where I Am Sucessful*

1. Able to get the core of everything working with JSF, some REST & SOAP WS, XML/JSON setup, etc.
2. Able to get a bunch of OSGi stuff running
3. Figured out a bunch of logging issues so I can get Logback with SLF4J running
4. No issues deploying/undeploying anything via Maven
5. Using Liquibase for the basic database setup which was really easy
6. All is good with getting MySQL up, recognized and tested via the web console1. Added MySQL as a module
2. Added DataNucleus as a module
3. Defiend 2 data sources:  1 with JPA, 1 without

I was able to follow the basics with the help of a couple web articles:

*  https://community.jboss.org/docs/DOC-17094?_sscc=t https://community.jboss.org/wiki/GettingStartedWithJDOOnJbossAS7InSevenSteps?_sscc=t
*  http://hwellmann.blogspot.com/2011/10/jboss-as-7-catching-up-with-java-ee-6.html http://hwellmann.blogspot.com/2011/10/jboss-as-7-catching-up-with-java-ee-6.html

*Where I Am Stuck*
So now I am starting to get to the recognition of the data source(s) within JBoss and hoping to move quickly onto the DataNucleus and JDO end of things.  However, I cannot get the data source reference via a context lookup without getting a "+Name Not Found+" exception.  I really want to get this piece-by-piece to understand the inner workings and therefore I don't want to skip this step before moving on to the setup of +persistence.xml+ and whatnot.

My data sources are setup like this in +standalone.xml+:

<datasource jta="false" jndi-name="java:/datasources/testMeDS" pool-name="testMeDS-pool" enabled="true" use-java-context="true" use-ccm="true">

</datasource>

<datasource jta="true" jndi-name="java:/datasources/testMeDS-JTA" pool-name="testMeDS-JTA-pool" enabled="true" use-java-context="true" use-ccm="true">

</datasource>

In my simple, little JAX-RS setup I created a +DataSourceService+ class that looks like this:

@Path ("/dstest")
public class DataSourceService {