[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools] - Re: Unknown popup with username password prompt driving me nuts

Andre Dietisheim do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Jun 4 07:48:19 EDT 2013

Andre Dietisheim [https://community.jboss.org/people/adietish] created the discussion

"Re: Unknown popup with username password prompt driving me nuts"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/821239#821239

Hi Tanya
> Our environment permits very restricted access to the internet and, of course, we must use a proxy -- only the host in the pop-up is not it.  If it were prompting me for access to the proxy I would have recognized it right away as the hostname is easily identifiable as the proxy.  To add to the complication, the proxy only works with IE -- in other words the firewall only permits access to the internet via the proxy AND IE.  Eclipse may NOT access the internet, even through the proxy.  Makes installing a software and updates a pain.
>
> I do think it's somehow related to version control as the host mentioned in the pop-up used to be our SVN repository.   Since you mention opening the EGit perspective causes EGit's proxy plugin to override the default proxy plugin, I wonder if opening the SVN perspective once prompted an analogous action triggering the start of this pop-up?  I would not have fiddled with the git preferences since we don't use it.  Whether the EGit plugin is installed I don't know (did it come with jboss tools perhaps?).  The SVN preferences do not contain a reference to this host, at least I couldn't find one, but it must be related.
>
> I just realized subclipse isn't installed -- doesn't it come with JBDS 7? (that's what I'm upt o now and it's working quite well!)
>
> Thanks for all the info.  I'll have to install subclipse at some point and we'll see what happens then...
Reading you and looking at your screenshot a 2nd time made me think that I was wrong in thinking that the dialog was related to the Eclipse proxy. If the host you see was your SVN host then the closest guess is that there must be some SVN setting left in your workspace (as Max pointed out) that must be triggering some SVN plugin.

You mention SVN preferences, so you definitely have a SVN plugin installed. Since you're sure abourt subclipse not being available you must be running Subversive, the SVN plugin that's part of the Eclipse distribution ( http://www.eclipse.org/subversive/ http://www.eclipse.org/subversive/). Whenever the popup shows up make sure it's focused and hit "Alt+Shift+F1". The plug-in spy would then also tell you what plugin is prompting you.You can verify this in your JBSD via Help->About JBoss Developer Studio->Installation Details->Plug-Ins and scroll trough the list and look for "SVN Team provider". The presence of a SVN perspective in your JBDS would definitely also confirm this.
Back to the cause of being prompted I'd reiterate over what Max pointed out above: my guess is that the project you're editing still had SVN settings in it, causing Subversive to try to connect to your host. Did you verify that there are no ".svn" folders in your project any more? I'd very much think that using the old workspace with the project featuring .svn folder was causing those prompts since re-importing those into a fresh workspace solve it.

Cheers
André

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]