[jboss-user] [jBPM] - jBPM noob questions

Viktor Alexandrov do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Jun 28 07:47:11 EDT 2013

Viktor Alexandrov [https://community.jboss.org/people/synclpz] created the discussion

"jBPM noob questions"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/825487#825487

Hello, all. I got some noob (maybe) questions concerning implementing existing scenarios in jBPM. I got some proprietary workflow manager runtime (running on AS7) and tooling to define workflows via graphical editor. The workflows are rather simple and consist of nodes (with in/out parameters) and arrows pointing to the next node (or nodes if current node makes some decisions). Every node is a simple java class that allows to perform some operation: math operations, database lookups/stores, invoke HTTP GET's, log, start another workflows, some proprietary actions and so on.

Now I want to migrate existing service logic to jBPM (actually may be to SwitchYard with jBPM as process orchestrator). Beacause of almost no knowledge in "perfect" BPMN I'm afraid of making wrong architectural decisions  :)
I would be very glad if someone could propose me the right solutions or just post some links to the right places to read!

My simple process looks like this:

1. Log some input vars
2. Prepare (map) some additional parameters
3. Query some application properties (config)
4. Query DB with request based on prepared data
5. Modify data (e.g. update modification time)
6. Update data in DB
7. Invoke some sub-process
8. Execute some action through, for example, HTTP or other (proprietary) interface
9. If everything ok, commit data in DB, else rollback and write log
10. Map some paramerers for output
11. Finish

I cannot understand clearly how this should be implemented using jBPM tools. As I could imagine, logging and parameter mapping and runtime bean fileds updating could be performed via Script Node with java expressions, but may be I should use some other tools for it? I cannot find how do I query DB, update DB: is it only done through custom Service Node? Is there a possibility (examples) to use ORM for domain-specific data model? How could I invoke sub-process with, for example, process name and parameters derived in run-time? If someone could supply any more or less complex examples of jBPM usage: with custom data model or custom services invocations, it would be very appreciated.