[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Transaction Issue with EJBs

Shobhit Tyagi do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Mar 14 13:51:02 EDT 2013

Shobhit Tyagi [https://community.jboss.org/people/roxy1987] created the discussion

"Transaction Issue with EJBs"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/802749#802749

Hi Community,

I have run into an issue with transactions.
I raised a similar question before and I marked it as answered after getting some helpful replies but it looks like the issue was temporarily gone.

I have 3 separate prjects. One web, one EJB and one simple java.

For instance if I have to start a process or I have to complete a task, I send request from a Managed Bean(web project) to the Session Bean(EJB project), which calls the APIs present in the java project.
In my SessionBean, I use the TransactionManagement annotation as

@TransactionManagement(TransactionManagementType.BEAN)

And I call the BPM APIs as

@Resource
 private EJBContext context;

 @Override
 public void completeTask(long taskID, String userID, Map<String, Object> map) throws Exception
 {
  UserTransaction ut = context.getUserTransaction();
  try
  {
   ut.begin();
   BpmAPI.startTask(taskID, userID);
   BpmAPI.completeTask(taskID, userID);
   ut.commit();
  }
  catch(Exception e)
  {
   ut.rollback();
   e.printStackTrace();
  }
 }

But doing this gives me the transaction exception. It completes the task but doesnt signal the process instance. But this happens when I leave the taskHandler open, which is created while starting the process instance.
If I dispose the taskHandler, the transaction exception goes away but the process instance still doesnt proceed after completing the task.
I believe for signalling the process, taskHandler needs to be not disposed.

For now the workaround I am doing is disposing the taskHandler, completing the task, completing the workitem(to signal process instance). But just completeTask should do the trick.

COuld anyone please help me with the Transaction Management.
I use Websphere 8.5 web container.

Regards.