[jboss-user] [jBPM] - How to start a process with parameters when there is no associated form?

Shane Claggett do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Mar 30 15:48:25 EDT 2013

Shane Claggett [https://community.jboss.org/people/sclaggett] created the discussion

"How to start a process with parameters when there is no associated form?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/805726#805726

What is the proper way to programmatically start a jBPM process with parameters using the REST API when the workflow has no form associated with it? I've managed to get authentication working thanks to the  http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/riftsaw/trunk/samples/quickstart/management/src/org/jboss/riftsaw/management/ManagementClient.java this example, so I'm ready to kick off a workflow. Other posts on this forum point to two different methods to starting a process with parameters:

1. For processes that have forms associated with them, the posts  https://community.jboss.org/message/751886#751886 here and  https://community.jboss.org/thread/196709 here describe a method to start the process using the REST API (the gist being to render the form first, then programmatically complete it to start the process).
2. For processes that don't have forms associated with then, an older post  https://community.jboss.org/message/612597#612597 here recommends modifying ProcessMgmtFacade.java to add a new REST endpoint that accepts process parameters.

Method #1 fails with the following exception if no form is associated with the process:

Servlet.service() for servlet Resteasy threw exception: org.jboss.resteasy.spi.UnhandledException: java.lang.RuntimeException: No UI associated with PROCESS defaultPackage.TestingTaskAssignment

Method #2 may work but modifying a third-party library seem like a hack and makes me wonder if I'm approaching the problem incorrectly. What would you recommend as a solution?

Thank you,
Shane

P.S. I'm currently running jBPM 5.4.0.Final in JBoss 7.