[jboss-user] [Javassist] - Proxing methods that are called from within the proxy instance itself

Electro Type do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon May 13 19:59:45 EDT 2013

Electro Type [https://community.jboss.org/people/electrotype] created the discussion

"Proxing methods that are called from within the proxy instance itself"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/817501#817501

Hi, I'm new to Javassist. Thanks a lot to the developers of this project!

I'm pretty sure it's not the first time this question is asked, but I did a search and found nothing.

I'm proxying an abstract class. Something like this (I hope I'm not making any mistakes since this is not the exact code I use) :

ProxyFactory factory = new ProxyFactory();
factory.setSuperclass(MyAbstractClass.class);
factory.setFilter(new MethodFilter()
{
    public boolean isHandled(Method method)
    {
        return true;
    }
}

MyAbstractClass myInstance = (IDictionary<?>) factory.create(new Class<?>[0], new Object[0], new MyHandler());

MyAbstractClass is :

public abstract class MyAbstractClass
{
    public String sayHello()
    {
        return "Hello";
    }

    public String sayHelloWord()
    {
        return sayHello() + " World!";
    }
}

And MyHandler is Something like :

public class MyHandler implements MethodHandler
{
    public Object invoke(Object self, Method thisMethod, Method proceed, Object[] args) throws Throwable
    {
        System.out.println("In invoke()!");

        [ + code to actually call thisMethod on the self object ]
    }
}

Now, If I call :

myInstance.sayHelloWord();

The +invoke()+ method will be called first, since I told Javassist to handle all methods. But - and this is my question - when +sayHello()+ is called from say+HelloWord()+, *it is called directly, without going through +invoke()+ first!*

Is there a way to make all methods, even when they are called from within the instance itself, being proxied and going through +invoke()+?

Start a new discussion in Javassist at Community
[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2062]