[jboss-user] [JNDI and Naming] - Re: Use plain @EJB for remote EJB lookup?

jaikiran pai do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu May 30 05:52:26 EDT 2013

jaikiran pai [https://community.jboss.org/people/jaikiran] created the discussion

"Re: Use plain @EJB for remote EJB lookup?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/820335#820335

Mikal, welcome to the forums.

> Mikal Henriksen wrote:
>
> I've been using the guide at  https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/AS71/EJB+invocations+from+a+remote+server+instance https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/AS71/EJB+invocations+from+a+remote+server+instance to make a standalone war that uses beans that are deployed in an ear running on a separate AS. I got it working by using an explicit lookup name in the @EJB annotation, like this:
>
> @EJB(lookup = "ejb:earname/modulename/BeanClass!fully.qualified.RemoteInterface")
> private RemoteInterface bean;
>
> Writing this for all the remote EJBs is getting tedious, and refactoring with it is even worse. Is there a way to tell the default context which app name and module name to use, so that I can use plain @EJB annotations without parameters?

The server cannot guess what the appname, module name and bean name would be for that target bean (which resides on a different server) to be. It's the user's application which has that idea. One way to reduce the tediouness is to use the ejb-jar.xml to set up the injection (ejb-jar xsd has the necessary details) such that you can then use something like this in the ejb-jar.xml:

 <lookup-name>${myfoo.bar.system.property}</lookup-name>

and set the system property (typically by passing -D<system-property-name>=<system-property-value>) while launching the server. Note that the system property replacement in deployment descriptors is a JBoss application server specific features and may not be portable across different server vendors.

Start a new discussion in JNDI and Naming at Community
[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2083]