[jbosscache-dev] migrating data stored in 1.x format to VAM format

Galder Zamarreno galder.zamarreno at jboss.com
Thu Jan 25 07:06:58 EST 2007

Hi all,

I'm deferring http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBCACHE-879 to BETA2 because I still need to write this: http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBCACHE-882

The reason I'm deferring it is because I can't see a straightforward way of doing such thing right now. Ideally, you should be able run a 1.x version (cache1) and a 2.x version (cache2) of JBC in the same VM so that you can do a loop of cache1.get() and call cache2.put(). However, I have doubts that that this approach will be free of class loading issues. What do you think?

I was wondering whether Region based could help here, but I can't see right now how this could be done.

Something I had in mind is having the capability of to start a cache with either 1.x marshalling or VAM marshalling, but oriented at being used only at the cache loader level. It wouldn't make much sense for replication because there's no hard data there.

I thought that you could start two instances of cache 2.x, first with 1.x. marshalling and the other one with VAM both pointing to different JDBCCacheLoader stores. You could then get from the first using normal mmarshalling and put in the second one which has VAM marshalling active, what do you think?

If you like the approach, I should be have it ready by BETA2.

This last approach looks simpler to me, what do you think?

Galder Zamarreño
Sr. Software Maintenance Engineer