[jbosscache-dev] Clear all data in destroy?

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Wed May 30 12:57:23 EDT 2007

Hmm, I was thinking destroy too, but here's a use case for stop.

Cache is a 2nd level cache. No state transfer on startup, they just want
a cold cache.

Some problem is happening so they stop the cache and then start again.
Now they're out of sync with the cluster, i.e. missed any updates to
their cached data that occurred while they were stopped.

Basically, the state transfer semantics imply that the in-memory state
is "consistent" with the cluster when start returns. Either its
"consistent" because it's been transferred, or it's "consistent" because
it's empty and waiting to be populated from a trusted source (shared
cache loader or external source like db).  Leaving the in-memory state
around after stop() breaks that.

--
Brian Stansberry
Lead, AS Clustering