[jbosscache-dev] Let's make 3.0 backwards compatible

Bela Ban bela at jboss.com
Tue Aug 19 01:53:00 EDT 2008

First of all: I don't think there's a need to make 1.x compatible with
2.x and/or 3.x. The need is there to make 2.x compatible with 3.x.

Inline

Manik Surtani wrote:
> After a good nights' sleep and a fresh mind, I've had a rethink and
> have a potential solution.  Tell me what you guys think, this will
> apply to both 3.x -> 2.x compat, 3.x -> 1.x compat and 3.x -> 2.x compat.
>
> 1.  For each release, create a "namespace-safe" package.  E.g., for
> 3.0.0, create jbosscache-core.jar as well as
> jbosscache-core-namespace-safe.jar. This would be constructed using
> jarjar, where org.jboss.cache.* is translated to org.jboss.cache.3.*
> (or org.jboss.cache.2.*).

One additional JAR ? -1. jarjar ? -1. That's -2 ...

Sorry, but when I smell complexity, I turn negative... :-)

What about a single adapter, shipped with 3.x, which makes 3.x
compatible with 2.x ? I don't hope there will be a 4.x any time soon,
which break API compatibility again, so this should be a one-time exercise.

--
Bela Ban
Lead JGroups / Clustering Team