[jbosscache-dev] READ_COMMITTED should be enforced for Hibernate 2nd level caching?

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Tue Mar 17 09:42:27 EDT 2009

Manik Surtani wrote:
> Have a look at this thread:
>
> http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4218569
> <http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4218569>
>
> Does it make sense to enforce READ_COMMITTED for the Hibernate 2nd Level
> Cache provider for JBC3, if MVCC is used?

I would agree that REPEATABLE_READ does not make sense for a second
level cache.

However, this sounds like a problem with PFER. If someone calls PFER, I
think the original transaction should resync the node snapshot. In other
words, the application has already attempted to write a new value (in
the same thread and source tx even), so RR isolation is not only
unnecessary, it is inconsistent with expectations.

--
Jason T. Greene