[jbosscache-users] Issue with JBC on Tomcat 5.5

Mamta, Jain Jain.Mamta at in.standardchartered.com
Mon Nov 12 00:17:45 EST 2007

Hi All,

We are having trouble using JBC Habanero version 2.0.0.0 GA for enabling
Distributed Caching. The error encountered as appearing in the log is :

Nov 2, 2007 6:00:07 AM org.jgroups.protocols.TP$IncomingPacket run
WARNING: packet from a.b.c.d:45564 has different version (0.0.0) from
ours (2.5.0). Packet is discarded

Environment :
Tomcat 5.5.20, Multicast
Starting Catalina with the following option to avoid the "Problem
creating sockets" :
    -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

What I am trying to do is, use JBC for distributing cache over the
Tomcats cluster established with multicasting. The steps followed were :

    1. modified ip address & port for the UDP/mcastaddr and port in
replSync-service.xml
    2. commented off transaction manager tag in the xml, as we dont have
the requirement for Transactional Caching
    3. created a client that would enable/initialize the JBC caching :

        CacheFactory factory = DefaultCacheFactory.getInstance();
        cache = factory.createCache(<url of the replSync-service.xml>);

Whats happening is :

    1. JGroups seems to be doing whats required as I see the following
in the log :

        INFO: JGroups version: 2.5.0
        GMS: address is a.b.c.d:32838

    2. And further the following is logged :

    INFO: viewAccepted(): [a.b.c.d:32838|0] [a.b.c.d:32838]
    Nov 2, 2007 6:00:06 AM org.jboss.cache.CacheImpl internalStart
    INFO: CacheImpl local address is a.b.c.d:32838
    Nov 2, 2007 6:00:06 AM org.jboss.cache.CacheImpl internalStart
    INFO: JBoss Cache version: JBossCache 'Habanero' 2.0.0.GA[ $Id:
Version.java,v 1.35 2007/08/01 16:52:13 msurtani Exp $]
    Nov 2, 2007 6:00:07 AM
org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastServiceImpl$ReceiverThread run
    WARNING: Error receiving mcast package. Sleeping 500ms
         at java.lang.System.arraycopy(Native Method)
         at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastMember.getMember(McastMember.java
:174)
         at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastServiceImpl.receive(McastServiceI
mpl.java:210)
         at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastServiceImpl$ReceiverThread.run(Mc
astServiceImpl.java:254)
    Nov 2, 2007 6:00:07 AM org.jgroups.protocols.TP$IncomingPacket run
    WARNING: packet from a.b.c.d:45564 has different version (0.0.0)
from ours (2.5.0). Packet is discarded

    3. Is the observed error ignorable ?
    4. I have not started the other node in the cluster as there are
hundreds of lines appearing in the log with Packet discarded message.

Have I done enough, or missing something obvious as the documents do
direct us to do just the above.

Best Regards,
Jigyaasa_Jbosscache
This email is confidential. If you are not the addressee tell the sender immediately and destroy this email
without using, sending or storing it. Emails are not secure and may suffer errors, viruses, delay,
interception and amendment. Standard Chartered PLC and subsidiaries ("SCGroup") do not accept liability for
damage caused by this email and may monitor email traffic.