[jbosside-dev] jbosside wtp integration woes ;)

Rob Stryker rob.stryker at jboss.com
Mon Nov 13 13:55:03 EST 2006

My point was that before, all they needed was a launch configuration, and it
was nice and simple for them. Now they need a view, and that's a pain and
cluttering. Two views would just be overkill.

As for why not just have one tree, I tried that months ago as well, however,
the fact that I'd like to show whether the server is started or stopped in
the same way the Servers View does (in columns), it's impossible to do
properly.

The columns mess up the usefullness of the tree. If I have a viewer with 3
columns, and only the left most column has children (who also have children
etc), the moment the children expand past the column's width, they get cut
off. Thus, the tree becomes useless. In order to see any of the elements,
you end up having to expand the column's width, which is just silly.

So instead I settled on two viewers one on top of the other, which I thought
was the best possible answer. I've solicited feedback / suggestions before
and got minimal input from anyone, so as far as I was concerned, this was
the best answer possible.

If I just went with one tree, then the current server state would have to be
a child of the server instead of its own column, which may be acceptable but
it wasn't what I thought was the most beautiful or intuitive. In this way,
the user can see a list of his servers and what state they're in first, and
then get more details about whichever he wants. If server state was instead
a sub-element in the tree, and hte user had 3 servers declared, then he'd
have to expand each of the servers to see which were started or stopped.
Then there'd be all the other stuff between server state (such as modules,
descriptor xpaths, event log) etc, that it would look horrendous.

Server 1
 | -  State: Started
 | -  Modules
 | -  Event Log
 | -  Descriptor XPaths
 | -  blah blah blah
Server 2
 | -  State: Stopped
 | -  Modules
 | -  blah blah
Server 3
 | -  State: Starting
 | -  et etc etc

Clearly this isn't optimal to quickly see which servers are started or
stopped.

And finally, my server view extension API was written to accept a changing
input for the second viewer. It was not written to be a child of several
different elements, but rather to be stand-alone elements with a changing
input.

Hopefully this gives you some insight into what was going through my tiny
programmer mind.

- Rob