[jbosside-dev] Re: About feature.xml and bundling plugins (WAS: jBPM Designer feature.xml needs to be updated)

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at jboss.com
Thu Sep 28 08:32:24 EDT 2006

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:30:36 +0200, Koen Aers <koen.aers at jboss.com> wrote:

> But I *am* building a completely separate thing along with the JBoss IDE
> distribution. Our jBPM Starter's Kit contains the jBPM GPD feature
> without all the other JBoss IDE stuff. And this is exactly what I am
> worried about and why I am looking at this with so much suspicion...

> I am distributing the jBPM GPD feature as a standalone feature and I
> certainly do not want to import the complete WTP feature only because I
> am using the XML editor. So I repackage the plugins from the WTP feature
> and I provide or distribute them in my own feature.

Ok, we are apparently not going anywhere with this ;)

We are not saying you need to depend on the complete WTP feature.
HibernateTools doesn't need that either. The thing is though (which
I also just realized lately) is that the WTP consists of multiple features
AND one of those are the xml editor and is not really that bigger.
So if you used that feature as an dependency instead of your own extraction
of plugins things would be easier.

that being said, you can still use <import> specifically to just refer to
individual plugins - I don't think that gives problems (besides your plugin
is actually not stating its true/general dependency)

Would you be ok maintaining two feature/plugin.xml files so we could
have one that package things up like you want and another that works
like intended in the eclipse 'eco-system' kind of way so we can get an
IDE build going ? (this were mean as half-for-fun and half-for-real..;)

> Besides, your statement does not hold. The Eclipse RCP feature is
> packaged in the Eclipse core distribution and 'provides' some of the
> plugins that happen also to be in the Equinox project and thus in the
> Equinox feature. This is exactly the same situation as what I am doing
> with WTP... The bottom line is that the feature is a way of packaging
> and of distributing plugins.

Yes and I can see the usefullnes of this if you wanted to provide a custom
build/bundling of eclipse as a standalone program...that is not what you
want, right ?

You don't distribute a linux/windows/mac edition of your plugins, right ?
I don't get why WTP and eclipse core, jdt etc. is getting different
treatment then ?
Why don't you refer to the core eclipse plugin the same way so they
also get packaged with your jBPM GPD feature ?

/max

> Regards,
> Koen

Max Rydahl Andersen