[jbosstools-dev] Re: Testing the CA

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Mon Dec 17 01:59:24 EST 2007

> Amoung the JUnit test cases we have the one that tests OpenOn's region
> types
> recognition. This tests contains the informatin for the specified file
> region types and calls the OpenOn "detector" on each character position
> in that file to ensure that the region types are properly detected.

sounds good.

> So, for the CA we can create something like this. Because of algorithm
> of CA
> invokation is closed deep inside ContentAssistant and
> CompletionProposalPopup classes we have to write the same algorithm to
> get
> the CA Processor for the source viewer and text position specified and
> then
> aquire the processor for proposals.

Ok.

> There are some difficulties because of UI staff (there are too many
> private
> and package local/internal classes in CA which need to, but cannot be
> accessed from outside (from test case code)) but I think it's possible to
> get the proposals for some test file.

would be really usefull if we could get this. But is all the UI stuff
needed to
test the contentassist ? Can't it run just on the model(s) ?

> The big question is how the test case can ensure that the proposal list
> returned is the right proposals? There are too many variations for the
> proposal set (depending on the JBoss and 3rd-party plugins installed and
> project configuration it is possible to get a different set of
> proposals).

I don't understand this. If you control the code completion then you also
can limit the code
completion to a specific set of completion mechanisms + you also can
completely control
what goes into the project you are code completing on.

Max Rydahl Andersen
callto://max.rydahl.andersen

Hibernate
max at hibernate.org