[jbosstools-dev] Feedback/Questions on jbtools-200804160015-nightly

Galder Zamarreno galder.zamarreno at redhat.com
Fri Apr 18 04:05:19 EDT 2008

Hi all,

My first email to JBoss Tools Dev list, so be gentle :)

I've playing with a nightly build of JBoss Tools, to be more precise
http://reports.qa.atl.jboss.com/binaries/RHDS/nightly/200804160015-nightly/
with the indicated build drivers and I have several comments I'd like to
make:

1.- Is there any specific ordering to the runtime libraries in the
classpath? Why do I wanna do that? The most efficient way to add source
folders is to have client/jbossall-client.jar first. Then, as source
folder for this, you go to the root of your EAP/AS svn checkout and find
source recursively. Any classes that are not in jbossall-client.jar can
be added later, for example for jboss-aop-jdk5.jar.

If you can't put jbossall-client.jar first, you end up having to go
through each individual client jar and add source folder for that. This
can be quite a pain in the ass if you're debugging client side calls.

2.- Project Archives view is misleading -> Shown Filesets are not
accurate (see "project-archive-view-misleading-1.png"), where's the
excluded patterns? It only shows included patterns.

3.- .svn/ and CVS/ folders should be excluded from filesets by default.
Maybe an option in preferences of Project Archives?

4.- When you create an EJB project, if the ejb-jar.xml is located in
[project-name]/[source-folder]/META-INF/ejb-jar.xml, jdbs shows a nice
preview of it (see "Deployment Descriptor" at the bottom left of
"ejb-jar-xml-preview.png"). This does not happen if the ejb-jar.xml is
located somewhere else. Is this configurable?

5.- Is there a way to convert a eclipse java project into an ejb project
automatically? All my projects are currently java projects and wanna
migrate them to faced projects depending on what they do. Currently, I'm
having to create a sample project of each type, take .classpath,
.project...and other files and inject them into my original project.
This is a pain in the ass.

6.- What does this warning really mean? "CHKJ2905W: The EJB Validator
did not run because ejb-jar.xml could not be loaded. Run the XML
validator for more information.". Is it after a
[project-name]/[source-folder]/META-INF/ejb-jar.xml file?

7.- I name my runtimes and servers something like this:
eap-4.2.0.ga.cp01-12345 (servertype-version-casenumber). When creating
the server for it, I need to go back to the runtimes in
Windows/Preferences, copy/paste the runtime name, try creating the
server again and paste the name there. Wouldn't naming servers with the
runtime name by default make more sense? You've already had to think of
a unique name for the runtime and as far as I can see there's a 1-to-1
mapping between runtime and server...

8.- Project archive filter set preview is too small and not resizable.

9.- Support for SAR archives?

10.- Let's say I create a .SAR exploded project archive which contains a
exploded .WAR archive, i.e

descriptors/
|--> a.sar/
	|--> META-INF/jboss-service.xml
	|--> b.war/
		|--> WEB-INF/web.xml

When I ask JBDS to filter from descriptors/ folder **/*, the generated
project archive transforms the exploded war into an jarred war. JBDS
shouldn't do that, it should keep the war exploded.

11.- Following warning: "Classpath entry
org.eclipse.jdt.junit.JUNIT_CONTAINER/3 will not be exported or
published. Runtime ClassNotFoundExceptions may result. ". Well, I'm not
gonna include my test classes in src/test inside my deployments and I
don't wanna be including junit.jar in the deployment archive, so how can
i get rid of this warning? Judging from the quick fix, you can only
avoid this warning by adding junit.jar into the published jar which I
don't wanna do.

Last but not least: Great job to everyone involved in JBDS! In spite of
my comments above, I'm very happy with what I've seen so far!!!

Cheers,
--
Galder Zamarreño
Sr. Software Maintenance Engineer