[jbosstools-dev] Export/Import Runtime/Servers?

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Tue Apr 22 03:06:08 EDT 2008

> Let's say you have a runtime called "jboss-4.2". By default, such
> runtime has a classpath associated which includes all jars in that runtime.

Yes.

> If this was configurable and you could assigned a user library defined
> by me, that would be ideal.

Well...kinda, but the problem with user libraries is that they are workspace dependendent and not
easily sharable.

> Now, if you're able to export a runtime, which will indirectly export
> the user library I linked to it, then you have user libraries and
> runtimes exported into a single file. Saving quite a few clicks when
> moving from workspace to another.

well we could save a set of libraries together with the runtime, that optionally
could point to user libraries.

> Out of runtime, you can create many servers, so if when you exported
> runtimes, you exported any servers for it, triple bonus.

servers are machine specific (e.g. paths to server), but yes this could be done more generically.

> Bottom line, the feature I propose is:
> Exporting/Importing runtimes that indirectly e/i associated user
> libraries (if this feature was approved) and associated servers.

I actually think the servers today are saveable in the workspace.

Rob, isn't that possible today in some sense?

-max