[jbosstools-dev] Adding $NON-NLS$ comments

Sean Flanigan sflaniga at redhat.com
Wed Aug 6 02:49:48 EDT 2008

G'day all,

I'm part of Red Hat's i18n team, and sooner or later (or a bit of both)
I'm going to be working on internationalising JBoss Tools (and
DevStudio).  I gather quite a bit's been done, but I'm sure there's some
work left to do...

To that end, I would like to make use of Eclipse's warning for
"Non-externalized strings (missing/unused $NON-NLS$ tag)" at least in my
own development workspace.  (Perhaps as part of the build process one day.)

This would cause Eclipse to generate a warning for any string which
isn't followed by the comment: //$NON-NLS-1$

Such warnings are very helpful for pinpointing strings which need to be
replaced with ResourceBundle lookups.  Other strings (eg containing
plugin IDs) would not be changed, just marked with the non-nls comment
to record the fact that they have been looked at.

I would probably end up adding quite a few non-nls comments to the code,
so it's best I talk about it now, before it ends up all over the codebase!

Regards

Sean.
--
Sean Flanigan