[jbosstools-dev] How to keep track of ResourceBundle keys?

Sean Flanigan sflaniga at redhat.com
Wed Aug 6 02:53:25 EDT 2008

G'day all,

I gather that a lot of the Tools code already uses externalised strings
(ie using ResourceBundles to fetch strings from .properties files), and
I don't think it uses the English text as the key (the way GNU gettext
does in Linux land), but rather the usual Java convention of artificial
string keys like "SharedIntroConfigurer_gettingstarted_nav".

I personally prefer the English-as-key approach (smaller code changes,
somewhat more readable code, and no artificial keys to keep track of),
but artificial keys have their advantages too, and of course it's
important to maintain a consistent approach.

Do you have any tools or scripts that you use to manage the artificial
keys, make sure they're unique, remove obsolete keys, things like that?
  How do you deal with this sort of thing?

Sean.

--
Sean Flanigan

Senior Software Engineer