[jbosstools-dev] Re: waaay to many jars in junittests

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Fri Jan 18 03:11:32 EST 2008

> That's because it is real applications, so you can import it in JBoos
> Tools compile, deploy and run.

What usage does that have ?

The unit tests for testing 3-4 methods in an API have no reason for messing around with huge projects.

e.g. I just committed a full junit test for testing the HQL query validation; that only requires 1 entity java class, 1 ejb3-persistence.jar to get the annotations to compile - done. Much easier to maintain/extend and the unit test is much more focused - meaning less wheels to turn to make things work.

Testing if a .xhtml page is rendered correctly does *not* require that the application is deployable...heck it does not even require  any jars as far as i'm concerned. It just requires a .xhtml page and that you can open the file in the editor - maybe the project needs to get JSF enabled to test some of the interactions when that is enabled; but you definitly need to check both scenarioes then (our jsf editor should be usable without the current project being fully configured)

Note: having test that does the whole thing is relevant, but having a full app for each small test of important functionallity is a big overhead.

/max